Short Fiction Tuesday

I seemed to have a difficult time focusing on short stories this week. I have a bunch of tabs open with stories that seem interesting, that I want to read...but I haven't read beyond the first paragraph or so of any of them. I tend to do that anyway, and I even still have a tab open with a story from early February, but it's seemed more pronounced this week. Is it my fault? The fault of the stories I've come across? Probably the former.

Anyway, one I did read was Michael Bishop's "The Library of Babble." It's a perplexing story, one that doesn't offer answers to its own central question of what the library is--or rather what it's for--but I enjoyed it. There is an answer, the story seems to say, and it's one that the protagonist's son discovers, but that answer can't be expressed in words, only in music.

Comments