Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Errr, yeah--Fantasy Magazine

I mentioned about Fantasy's switch to online a little over a month ago, I'd guess, but then I still had in my mind that the switch was a ways off. Nope, it's up and running and has been for a little while, it seems. I was sure the original announcement said after WorldCon, which would mean this is still only the first week, but there are entries from last week as well--perhaps it was their chance to play around with the setup and all before everyone realized things were happening. Or maybe I'd just remembered wrong.

I haven't read any of the stories yet, but I just read the interview with Catherynne Valente. Her new book, the conclusion of the Orphan Tales duology is out this week--I'd just read the first book a couple of weeks ago, and it is certainly among the most memorable I've read this year. I have to admit a twinge of disappointment that it didn't win the World Fantasy Award last weekend...but of course Gene Wolfe is pretty tough competition. I haven't read Soldier of Sidon, so I can't comment more on that.

I guess I assume that most people are well aware of who won the awards--I was pleased that Strange Horizons ran reviews on all five of the nominees for best novel. But in case you missed it (Elliot!) Gene Wolfe won for best novel.

No comments: