Bookshelf done!

We spent awhile last night putting books on the shelves--it's amazing how much more moved in it feels just to have them all up like that (and what, only a little more than 18 months after moving in...). Actually the entire bookshelf isn't quite done--I need my brother-in-law to bring his tools back for one last thing on the little side bookshelf. But we're planning to use that for all our stacks of board games, so it doesn't interfere with getting the books up. It looks really nice (of course I'd say that). I'll put a picture up sometime when I get around to it.

Of course, putting all those books up made me want to reread half of them. Books I read and loved in high school to see if they live up to my fond memories (on second thought, maybe I shouldn't reread those). Books from college lit classes that I loved--both those in English and those in Spanish. Even the anthologies look awfully attractive. Bring on Donne and Marvel! Bring on Quiroga and Carpentier. And then there are the books from around the same time that were either outside of class or part of my thesis on fantasy. I've already been rereading some from around that time--most recently the second book of McKillip's Riddlemaster trilogy. But I read so many of the classics of the field then. As well I have my collection of Italo Calvino books--I've reread both Invisible Cities (which was my introduction to Calvino) and If on a winter's night a traveler (which is my favorite). So next I hope to reread Castle of Crossed Destinies.

Ah, if only there were more time!

Comments