Wednesday, March 28, 2007


"Sports Fable Press" story at Noneuclidean Café

Go check it out. This is not a fantasy story, not really a speculative story at all...at least on the surface. There are certain ways that I think it betrays my speculative nature, especially in the nature of the short-lived newspaper of the title. I started writing this years ago, shortly after college, before I was even married when I was living in West Michigan. But then I got stuck and buried it for 4 and a half years. During that time I moved to Detroit, which is where the story is set, but it wasn't until I left Michigan for Colorado that I realized how to finish the story. I think it was while browsing Adbusters's website that I came up with how to complete it (and I wouldn't be surprised if the original concept came from reading an Adbusters magazine). I've long been the type to dislike brand names on my clothing--it can be a name brand if that means better quality, but I don't want to scream that fact out to other people.

In other news, I've just had a poem accepted for publication by Raven Electrick. I've been dabbling a bit more recently in speculative poetry, both writing and reading, so I'm excited by this, though it won't actually be appearing until May 2008.

2 comments:

B. A. Barnett said...

Congrats on both!

Daniel Ausema said...

Thanks! =)